Sunday 23 June 2013

Tashi Delek



Well, I was done with giving my final exams and as I thought to myself, I decided that now is the time to complete my movie.

Back in February when we had to submit our final projects in college, I was motivated and inspired to go and shoot the story of Tibetans living in exile. Though the final project got submitted on time; I never could complete the film. Maybe because of the timelessness we faced (freelancing and studying mass communication together really don’t leave you with enough time to even sleep!)

So, meanwhile just to keep my thoughts alive I have been reading a lot of books and articles about the recent developments (read increased sufferings) in Tibet.

It has been 119 Self Immolation now. It was 102 back then, when I had gone to Dharamshala. 17 deaths in just 4 months! And I would want to reiterate these are not just deaths; these are the portrayal of inhumanity of a system perpetrated in the name of progress and ideology.

I don’t know why, but every time I try to be practical and rational and make the movie my sentiments, rather my conscience forces me to look towards these people with the eyes of compassion. How could you not feel for the people who have been forced to leave their country, who live with the insecurities of new ideas and new world taking over their 2000 years old culture?

It is not only their sufferings at the end of Chinese rulers, or their acts of courage that beholds my attention; it is their struggle to never let go, it is their perseverance that constantly beats through my mind.

Dharamshala is not just a tourist place for me anymore. It has become ‘Dhasa’ the place where His Holiness The Dalai Lama has been praying for the well being of his people since more than 5 decades. The place has attached to itself a sense of reverence by giving refuge to a lot many Tibetans.

It seems that not everyone feels the same way about the Tibetans. Clearly, the fact that the communist party is bewildered with the increasing acts of self immolation and tightening their claws without any apprehension from the International Community gives light to the conclusion that everyone is bias. Be it bias towards money and political benefits or humanity. For me, there is nothing more destructive than a nation being enslaved for more than 60 years. This gives me a legit reason to present a story bias towards the resilience of these people.

By having the scientific characteristics of a human, it has been stated obvious that we are never content. Following the notion I believe that making a 30 minute movie won’t really help. Of course it will be the source of knowledge for those ‘many people’ who enjoy their lives unaware of the unjust and unlawful sufferings of these people. I feel the emptiness and a need for a power, a force that could speak and act for the Tibetans letting them to fulfill their dreams to live and rest in peace in their country! And I wish for the power to be discovered soon.

Tashi Delek!

P.S. Tashi Delek means good greetings in Tibet.
If you want to know more about the Tibetan history of sufferings under the Chinese rule go to
http://shivangi92.blogspot.in/2013/03/the-tibetan-issue.html




4 comments:

  1. I wish the cause of an independent Tibet comes to some kind of fruition in our lifetime. Even if it is some kind of self government without redrawing national borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tibetans have now stopped demanding for the borders to be re-drawn..all they want is freedom!
      And yes, I hope so too!

      Delete
  2. Yes it's very frustrating, and what makes it worse is that the Chinese government doesn't even want to sit for a dialogue with the Tibetan people!! And now there's no international pressure either, it's like every country is scared of China.. All we can do now is to pay sympathies to these brave souls and wish they lead a normal life in India and other countries where they're staying as refugees. For right now an independent Tibet is out of the question, maybe an autonomous government if the Chinese do give a bit of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chinese have created a Tibet Autonomous Region which is just one-third of the actual Tibet! But even this region has a very different and naive meaning of autonomy!

      Delete